We’re long-standing proponents of moissanite here at Joseph Schubach Jewelers. Not only is it eco-friendly (it’s not mined liked natural diamonds but created in a laboratory), but its brilliance and luster remain the same.
From our side of the counter, we’ve also seen countless customers who were able to pick out their favorite piece of jewelry because of moissanite’s affordability. But people remain skeptical, thinking moissanite is just a poor man’s diamond simulant. Think again: it is a diamond. It’s simply a lab-produced diamond.
Difference between Moissanite and Diamond
• The properties of Moissanite can be compared with diamond, and it has been found that this wonder material outperforms diamond on nearly all counts.
• If refractive index of diamond is 2.42, Moissanite has a refractive index of 2.65-2.69.
• Dispersion, also called fire by jewelers, is higher for Moissanite (0.104) than diamond (0.044). Even in luster index, Moissanite (20.4%) is much ahead of diamond (17.2%).
• It is only in hardness that diamond is ahead of Moissanite, but that too is just a little bit.
• Diamond has been given a perfect 10 on Mohs scale, whereas Moissanite’s hardness is rated 9.25.
• When it comes to toughness, Moissanite is labeled as excellent, whereas diamond is given a good on this count.
• Moissanite is also comparable to diamond in specific gravity.